1 The Wide Window

The Wide Window

Written by Lemony Snicket

Illustrated by Brett Helquist

Reviewed by Raegan H. (age 10)

The Wide Window

This is an amazing and creepy book about the three orphans named Sunny, Klaus, and Violet Boudelair. After their parents died, they moved in with Count Olaf. He was horrible to them. They went to live with their Aunt Josephine. Her house was on a hill overlooking Lake Lachrymose. Their aunt didn't want them to touch any doorknobs, because she was afraid they would shatter. In fact, she was overprotective of them. She gave them presents of a doll, a rattle, and a train. They convinced her to go downtown with them. Violet, the oldest, bumped into someone. It was Count Olaf. The kids knew it, but no one believed them. Later Count Olaf forced Aunt Josephine to write a will. Then he threw her out the window. Aunt Josephine wrote a code in the will that said she would be at Curdled Cave. The kids went there to find her. They had a hard time because Hurricane Herman was blowing. If you want to find out about the deadly Lachrymose Leaches, and if Aunt Josephine is still alive, you need to read the book.

My favorite part was when the kids went to Curdled Cave to rescue Aunt Josephine because they had to cross a stormy sea and go through a hurricane! Being a kid myself, I know this is scary. I felt like I was in the boat traveling across a stormy sea, helping to rescue Aunt Josephine. I liked Sunny, Klaus, Violet, Mr. Poe, and the banker. They did brave things, like steal a boat from Count Olaf, so they can escape and save Aunt Josephine. This book is the 3rd book in the series, "Lemony Snicket". Each of these stories tells about the adventures of Sunny, Klaus, and Violet.

This book had me sitting at the edge of my seat to find out how the kids would outsmart Count Olaf.

I recommend this book for all ages. It had lots of mystery in it. You will like how the kids decoded the secret message. I wouldn't read it if you get scared very, very easily.