1 Flying Solo

Flying Solo

Written by Ralph Fletcher

Reviewed by Nichole H. (age 12)

Flying Solo

In the book Flying Solo, the kids end up on their own in their classroom because their sub didn't show up that day. Some people wanted to tell, but some didn't want to tell because they thought it was fun without a teacher. Did this class get caught, or did they get away with it?

I think this book is fun because the students are all alone in school, well, without a teacher anyway. I have always wondered what that would be like and this book tells me. Rachel is an interesting character because she just stops talking after the boy who liked her died. Christopher is really annoying because he says "fact" and "opinion" a lot. Bastion is another form of annoying because he calls names. I guess he's just mean. Karen and Jessica are the ones I'd say ran the class because they kept the other kids under control.

I think this book would be good for a 9 year old because it's more for kids in elementary. Or, if you just ever wondered what might happen if your teacher didn't show up, this book has a lot of possible things that might happen.