1 Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia

Written by Katherine Paterson

Illustrated by Donna Diamond

Reviewed by Stephanie S. (age 12)

Bridge to Terabithia

Have you ever imagined a kingdom of your own? Well, if you read Bridge to Terabithia you will feel like you are in a fantasy world. This is a story about adventure, fantasy and a magical kingdom. Jess Aarons is a fifth grade boy who can't do what he loves (drawing) because his "friends" and his family would make fun of him. When Leslie Burke comes to the school she does not fit in and everyone makes fun of her. When Jess finds out that Leslie is very different from all the girls they start an amazing friendship. But when a terrible tragedy occurs all is different. Will Jess be able to come to terms with it? Read this book to find out!

The lesson in this book is that you need to live your life and not be afraid to be yourself. In this story you meet a girl who dares to be different and a boy who will learn to be himself. The author's style in the book is relatively fast paced but still descriptive in the important parts. I think Paterson's style is excellent because she describes the story very well and you can then imagine a lot. The illustrator, Donna Diamond, sketches the pictures in black and white, but there are not so many. When you look at them your imagination goes free! I thought the characters were very life like but still unique. I did make a personal connection to the story. I have been to a new school and it's hard to fit in. The most important thing to remember is not to forget who you are. I really think people should read this book! It's filled with adventure fantasy and a world you will never forget! The story is very exiting and I think kids from 3rd to 7th grade would truly like it.