1 The Bad Beginning

The Bad Beginning

Written by Lemony Snicket

Illustrated by Brett Helquist

Reviewed by Nico S. (age 9)

The Bad Beginning

This book is part of a series of books and I'm reviewing the first one. It's about three kids named Sunny, Klaus, and Violet. They are orphans and all their fortune is lost. Mr. Poe helps them. He brings them to a family member, Count Olaf . Count Olaf is a terrible person who gives them oatmeal for breakfast. There is a neighbor, Justice Strauss, who tries to help them. In one part, the children have to cook a fine meal for Count Olaf and his gang. Count Olaf kidnaps Sunny. He is planning something big and bad. Will the children get their fortune back or not? Find out by reading the book!

I didn't really like the illustrations because they were too simple. I think it is an exciting book because it has big events in it. It's not too long and not too short. That's why I like it. The book has exactly the right amount of pages because I don't like stories that are too long. My favorite character is Sunny because she always bites things.

I think this book is good to read from 2nd to 5th because it has challenging words and lots of detail.