1 James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

Illustrated by Quinton Blake

Reviewed by Brier L. (age 11)

James and the Giant Peach

James was a boy who had to live with his Aunt Spiker and Aunt Sponge. They were mean to him. They made him do everything! The two aunts were outside, and they saw a peach on the top of the tree. It kept growing and growing and they said they can make money off the peach. People came to see the peach and the aunts got all their money. The aunts went upstairs and they told James to go pick up all the trash. When he was by the peach, he saw a hole and then he went right in and found a grasshopper, a ladybug, a spider, an earthworm and a centipede. In the morning, the peach went rolling and it ran over the two aunts and killed them. It kept rolling and it landed in the ocean. Then the sharks were coming to eat the peach and they all said they couldn't swim and that they were going to starve. James told them that they had lots food to eat, the whole peach. Then they woke up silkworm and had him make strings to lift the peach so it would fly. The cloudmen threw paint on the centipede. They flew to New York and kids asked to eat the peach.

I liked this book somewhat. Some parts were funny. My favorite part was when the peach ran over Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. I liked it because they got what they deserved! My favorite character was the centipede. He had a snobby attitude and he said some funny things. I liked the illustrations. They showed a lot of detail.

I would recommend this book because it is a funny book and easy to read. I think that kids that are third grade to eighth grade could read it.