1 James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

Illustrated by Quinton Blake

Reviewed by Joee K. (age 11)

James and the Giant Peach

This story is about a boy named James Henry Trotter. James was an orphan boy. He became an orphan because his parents died from a rhino. When his parents died, he had to live with his aunts. His aunts were mean and cruel to him. His aunts were Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. Aunt Sponge is fat and short. Now, Aunt Spiker is the opposite. She is tall and skinny. One day James was outside and a man gave him little green things. When he gave James them he said that he has to swallow them. If he swallows them his dreams will come true. The green things were in a bag. James was walking and he tripped and all the little green things went out of the bag. A day or two later a peach started to grow from their tree. Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker went outside and they were surprised to see it growing on the tree because nothing ever grows on that tree. It wouldn't stop growing. But after a while it stopped. Aunt Sponge wanted to eat it but Aunt Spiker said that they could make profit off of it. Well, they made their profit off of it and they were going to eat it. But one night James went inside the peach and it was sticky but he kept on crawling. Finally, he came to the pit that looked like it was made of wood. Then there was an opening and he went in and saw a centipede, ladybug, spider, earthworm, grasshopper, and silkworm. He met them and became friends with them. The next day the peach was rolling and rolled over Aunt Sponge an Aunt Spiker and killed them. They rolled into the ocean. Then they started to panic, because they saw a shark. But James thought of a plan. He saw a seagull and he made a rope. When he saw a lot of seagulls coming he threw the rope up and caught them. Then they started to go into the sky. Then they cames across ANOTHER PROBLEM! They came across cloud-men. When the cloud-men saw the peach, they started to throw hailstones and some more other things. Then juice stared to leak out of the peach.But, they still kept on going. They slept overnight on the peach because they had to go across a ocean. While they were asleep they were in America! It drew peoples' attention! Then everyone got out of the peach. James let the kids that were there eat the peach. When the kids were done eating the peach, James lived in the pit. Sometimes kids would go and visit him. But other than that, they all lived happily ever after.

I thought this book was a good book. I liked it because it was hilarious in some parts. My favorite part was when they ran over Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker with the peach. That was my favorite part because what goes around comes around. I think James is the best character because he is smart and kind.

I recommend this book because it is a good book. I think fifth graders and up can read this book.