1 The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A WWII Soldier

The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A WWII Soldier

Written by Walter Dean Myers

Reviewed by Matthew O. (age 12)

This book is about a teenager named Scott Pendleton Collins. Near the beginning of World War II, Scott and some of his friends are drafted into the war. Later on, Scott and his friends struggle against the Germans for the outcome of World War II. Scott sees his friends are won and lost; many are shot down by machine guns or blown to pieces by bombs dropped by overhead planes. He realizes he will have to try his best to win the war and protect his country. There is a lesson to be learned from this story. The lesson is to never get cocky. For example, one of Scott?s friends thought he would have instant success, however his cockiness got him killed in the beginning of the book.

I thought the book was very gory and violent. An example for the books disgusting scenes are that people?s body parts are blown off by bombs. I liked this book a lot because there was plenty of action. My favorite part in this book was the gory action scene at Omaha beach. This was my favorite part because I like action that has plenty of shootings and killings. This book isn?t like any other book I have read because I usually never read World War II books. I only read sci- fi books most of the time like the Lord of the Rings. This book reminds me of school in a way. It reminds me of school because it?s like a never ending battle.

I would recommend this book to middle and high school aged people who like action books. All the gore in this book might attract someone who has a passion for gory action books.

I wouldn?t recommend this book to anyone that doesn?t like disgusting scenes. This book has a lot of gory disgusting scenes.