1 Hatchet

Hatchet

Written by Gary Paulsen

Reviewed by Kevin M. (age 12)

In the book Hatchet Brian Robeson (a 13 year old boy) is riding in a plane for the first time ever. The pilot has a little trouble with his heart, and has a heart attack while flying over the Canadian wilderness. Brian flew the plane until it ran out of fuel. Then Brian crashed in an L-shaped plane, and swims to shore. All he has is a hatchet to survive. The mosquitoes are driving him crazy until he makes a fire with his hatchet. You?ll have to read the book to find out how.

Along the way he runs into a porcupine, a moose, and a bear. He kicks the porcupine, and then he has to pull the quills out of his leg, one by one, each ripping his skin. The bear doesn?t do anything. The moose almost kills Brian by?once again you?ll have to read the book to find out how. At the end Brian swims out to the plane, you won?t believe what he sees.

I liked the part where Brian goes into the airplane. I was not expecting what happened to Brian. I also liked the part where he met with the porcupine and had to pull all of the quills out of his leg. One of the best parts is when he got attacked by the moose. Brian was about to die in this part so it was very exciting.

I recommend this book anybody who likes action books. Some parts are kind of gory, so girls might not like the book. It is a very suspenseful story.