1 Hatchet

Hatchet

Written by Gary Paulsen

Reviewed by Carol C. (age 10)

Have you ever been lost? Well, Brian sure has! In the book Hatchet a boy named Brian was stranded and lost after a plane crash. With his only companion, the pilot, dead from a heart attack, Brian is left to live alone in the woods.

The only thing Brian is left with besides the clothes he is wearing is a hatchet. This hatchet is helpful many times as he uses it to make fire and many other things.

I think the lesson of this story is to believe in yourself. I think this because Brian has to believe in himself in order to survive in the wilderness.

I have never read a book quite like this before. When I read this book I was amazed that a boy a young as Brian could do so much. The survival techniques in this book are very amzaing. I could never do some of the things Brian does, such as the way he hunts and fishes.

My favorite part of this story came after the tornado when Brian goes looking for the survival kit in the plane. I like this part of the book because Brian is very brave and courageous.

I recommend this book to 4th - 6th graders, as it is quite long with 195 pages. I also recommend it to anyone who likes to read survival books.