1 Teammates

Teammates

Written by Peter Golenbock

Illustrated by Paul Bacon

Reviewed by Ryan S. (age 9)

Teammates

In this book, Jackie Robinson is asked to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers. There is a problem. Jackie is a black man and isn't wanted on the team. Every other player on the team doesn't like him except for a white man named Pee Wee Reese. Pee Wee is a very nice man.

At their baseball game, the crowds were yelling mean things at Jackie. So Pee Wee Reese went over to Jacke and put his arm around Jackie's shoulder. Then he said something nice to Jackie.

I think this is a good book because it is about baseball and that is one of my favorite sports. In the book, my favorite part is when Pee Wee Reese goes over to Jackie and says something nice.

I think this book is special because a white man (Pee Wee Reese) is nice to a black man (Jackie Robinson). The author is trying to tell us that anybody can be friends with anybody.

I think the illustrator used paint because on the pages, there are not a lot of white spaces where the illustrator colored in.

I recommend this book for grades two through four. I think that because it teaches you a lot about different kinds of people.

I think people who like sports stories will like this book. People who like books about people making instant friends will also like this book.

If you also like stories that take place where sports are played, you will like this book. It mostly takes place near a baseball field. So, if you like that a setting like that, you will love this book.