1 The Old Woman Who Named Things

The Old Woman Who Named Things

Written by Cynthia Rylant

Illustrated by Kathryn Brown

Reviewed by Ava R. (age 7)

First let me tell you about this book! The setting is at a house. The characters are the old woman, her chair, her car, her house and her bed! The problem is that the old woman has no friends; she mostly sits in her chair and makes stuff. But a dog came up to her fence. She gave him some food but he came back the next day and kept coming back! Finally, she brought the dog inside and decided to keep the dog! She named it Lucky!

First, I like the solution because I LOVE dogs! Because the dog is in the solution the dog is helpful and it was the only friend that she had.

Next, I like the characters because the old woman named her bed, her house, her car and her chair. She named all of them because all of her friends outlived her.

Last, I like the book because she names things that aren't real. For example, the old lady names her house, her chair, and her car and her bed.

My favorite part of the book was when the old woman decided to keep the dog. I recommend this book to students in 2nd grade to 4th grade. I think people who like funny, but books about friendship should read this book.

I dare you to...to read this book. I bet you...love it!!!