1 Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Written by Wanda Coven

Illustrated by Priscilla Burris

Reviewed by Olivia R. (age 8)

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret is the first book of the series. There was a girl named Heidi and she hated school. One of the reasons she hated school was because of a mean girl named Melanie. Melanie was a bully. She says lots of mean things and does things that Heidi does not like but, luckily, there is another girl in the story. Her name is Lucy. I really like Lucy because she was the first one to be nice to Heidi. Lucy also tries to help Heidi with her Melanie problems. With Lucy’s help, will Heidi solve her situation with Melanie? Does Heidi have a secret plan of her own to get even with Melanie? Well, you are going to have to figure it out yourself by reading the book.

I think this book is really amazing! It is so funny! When I was reading Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret, I laughed a lot. One example is when Heidi’s little brother Henry says, “It’s just that your outfit kind of looks like a Halloween costume. What if you spook the other kids on your first day of school?” He was trying to be helpful, but Heidi got so annoyed! That was really funny to me! Another funny example is when Henry asks, “Did you miss me?” when Heidi got back from school. She said, “No.” I think her brother annoys her but she loves him and they joke around a lot. I can relate to this. I like Heidi because I can connect with her because she is in third grade like me. Heidi is smart and funny even when Melanie is being mean to her. She always knows what to do! I like that about her!

I recommend this book to kids in second through sixth grades because it is funny, it has good illustrations, and I think most elementary-aged kids can relate to it. I want to read other books in the series now!