1 Mrs. Katz and Tush

Mrs. Katz and Tush

Written by Patricia Polacco

Illustrated by Patricia Polacco

Reviewed by Gianna O. (age 8)

Mrs. Katz and Tush

In the book, Mrs. Katz and Tush, Mrs. Katz is an old woman who is hurt because her husband died. Mrs. Katz is also lonely but one day a boy named Larnel and his mother come to visit her. Larnel tells her that a cat had kittens in his basement and there was 1 that they called ugly because it didn’t have a tail. Mrs. Katz agrees to adopt the kitten and her life is not so lonely anymore.

There are many reasons why I like this book. First, I like it because it has a cat with no tail. I think it’s cute because I have a cat with no teeth. The second reason is because this book is both sad and happy just like in reality life is both sad and happy. Lastly, I like this book because it is funny. One funny part is when Mrs. Katz names the cat, Tush because he has not ail and she can see his bottom! It is a funny name.

I would recommend this book to animal lovers. My brother really loves cats so I know he would love this book. I’d also recommend this book to students in Kindergarten through third grade. It is a really nice story with a kind message.

COMMENT: Gianna, your review is great but can you give an example of what is funny about the book? You said it's funny - your readers will want to know why or how so. Can you give an example?