1 Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Written by Eleanor Coerr

Illustrated by Ronald Himler

Reviewed by River S. (age 9)

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

If you like feeling a lot of different emotions throughout books this book is definitely for you! Sadako and the Thousand paper Cranes is about a 12 year old girl who gets a very bad disease called leukemia. Her best friend, Chizuko, thinks if Sadako makes 1,000 paper cranes that she will… oops! You have to read this wonderful book to find out what happens! Enjoy the book!

The book Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes reminded me of the book Towers Falling. The book Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes reminded me of the book Towers Falling because they’re both about girls who are facing a hard time in their life and don’t know what is going to happen. While I was reading the book, I wondered how Sadako felt and if she wasn’t going to live much longer. I also wondered how Sadako’s family felt. If this happened to me, my family would be very scared and would not know what to do. In this book Sadako’s personality changed. Sadako was such a brave and extraordinary girl who was afraid of mostly nothing. But then, when Sadako went to the hospital she was afraid of losing her family and making them disappointed. The lesson of the story is to always believe in yourself and that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

I think kids should read this book because it is so interesting. This book hooks you in right from the beginning and you never want to look away. I think kids who like books about a character with an extraordinary story to tell would love this book. All boys and girls would love this book. I recommend that 3rd and 4th graders should read this book.