1 The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Written by J.R.R. Tolkien

Illustrated by Alan Lee

Reviewed by Kiefer D. (age 11)

There is a world under our world called Middle Earth where goblins, elves, dwarves, and even some humans live. But there are also small, hairy fellows called hobbits. Hobbits don't wear shoes because they grow leathery soles on the bottoms of their feet. Hobbits are very calm and don't do unexpected things. This particular hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, changed everything. When Gandalf, a wizard, shows up at Bilbo's house with fifteen dwarves, it starts to change the hobbits' way of life. Bilbo is the first hobbit to go on an adventure. Read the book to find out what happens on this adventure.

I enjoyed this book very much. It's a magical book with pictures that are unique and well drawn. My favorite part is when the dwarves keep on showing up at Bilbo's house. Bilbo changes in the story from not wanting to do anything and being grouchy, to loving adventures and being joyful. He reminds me of myself because he likes to eat two breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners.

I would recommend this book to Harry Potter readers. I would also recommend it to those who might not like Harry Potter, but do like magic and adventures.