1 The Martian

The Martian

Written by Andy Weir

Illustrated by Eric White

Reviewed by Hazel H. (age 11)

The Martian

NASA has sent seven different crew members to a once in a lifetime opportunity to Mars! After two years of traveling to this mysterious planet, an unexpected sand storm has hit the planet six days after these astronauts have been here. With sand coming in from the north, south, east and west, none of these crew members can see where they are going at all. Six of the crew members make it successfully make to the ship, and journey of leaving crew member Mark Watney left alone on Mars! Will Watney survive the epic tragedies of the mysterious planet?

This book is a real page turner, it made me really excited reading it, knowing than in few years NASA will actually be sending astronauts to discover Mars. My favorite character is Mark Watney because he is very brave and can handle anything that is given to him! While I was reading this book, I felt as though I was Mark Watney, being stranded on Mars. I felt lonesome, sad, but alive. The characters in this book, including the men and women at NASA, each have a sense of humor. The Martian is one of my favorite books because I like science fiction., and I think you should read it too!

I recommend this book for it’s humor and for it’s vivid images. Half of the book, I couldn’t stop laughing! If you like humor, than this is the right book for you. If you like scifi, you will like this book. This book is more for grades 7 and up.