1 The Berenstain Bears’ New Kitten

The Berenstain Bears’ New Kitten

Written by Stan & Jan Berenstain

Illustrated by Stan and Jan Berenstain

Reviewed by L.J. (age 7)

The Berenstain Bears’ New Kitten

This book is about a family of bears that sends Brother Bear out to hunt for bullfrogs and Brother Bear brought home a kitten. Mama Bear said, “You go hunting for bullfrogs and you bring home a kitten instead!?” Brother Bear said, “The kitten was trying to climb the river bank. It was full of mud. We couldn’t see if it was a cat or not and we couldn’t see it’s fur. We didn’t know what color the cat was.” “Say, let’s wash this kitten,” Mama Bear said. “We need hot water.” Brother Bear and Sister Bear said. “Can we keep it?” yelled Brother Bear and Sister Bear. Mom said, “Only if we take good care of it.” Mama Bear said, “Say, when did you bring this kitten to the pet doctor to see if this kitten is sick or has a very bad cold?” Mama bear asked Brother Bear and Sister Bear, “Do you want to see other pets at the pet doctor?” Then Mama Bear said, “I guess we should keep the kitten.” Brother Bear and Sister Bear said, “Yippee!” Read the book to find out what happens when the new kitten comes home with the Berenstain Bears.

I like this book because it has interesting parts throughout the book. It also has a lot of detail. The part when Gracie, the kitten, hit Little Lady, the dog, on the nose was very funny and silly. I like the part when the vet’s worker said Little Lady might be embarrassed for one week or so. He said to give Little Lady twenty extra hugs a day. I like the part when Brother Bear saw the kitten and the bullfrog noticed that someone was about to eat him or her and got away. My favorite part was when mother bear said, “Say…you go hunting for bullfrogs and you bring home a kitten?!”

I recommend this book to people who like kittens and bears because this story is about a family of bears and one kitten. I recommend this book to people that like little kittens splattered in mud because in this book there is a kitty cat splattered in mud. I recommend this book to people who like bullfrogs because in the book there is a bear that goes hunting for bullfrogs.