1 The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Written by Mary Pope Osborne

Illustrated by Tror Howell

Reviewed by Laila P. (age 8)

The Odyssey

The One-Eyed Giant is an enjoyable Greek mythology book based off of book five of Homer’s Odyssey. In this book a messenger tells Odysseus that he needs to fight in the Trojan War. Struggling to win, Odysseus tells his men to build a giant horse to hide in. They win the war and set sail for home. What will happen as they travel home? Will trouble follow them? One thing that occurs is their ship lands on shore and they meet a Cyclops named Polyphemus who traps the Greeks in a cave. The Cyclops smashes two Greeks and eats them for dinner. Will Odysseus and his men escape? Find out when you read the book!

I thought this book was superb. I liked this book because it has a lot of excitement and suspense. I also learned about the Greek gods and goddesses. My favorite part was when Polyphemus was smashing two Greeks against a wall. I liked this part because I like gruesome things. I also liked the part when Odysseus told the Cyclops that his name is no one, that was funny!

I recommend this book to 3rd and 4th graders because of the challenging vocabulary. Someone that likes Greek mythology and slightly gruesome stories would definitely enjoy this book. I recommend this book for ages 8 to 10 years old.