1 Syvester and the Magic Pebble

Syvester and the Magic Pebble

Written by Allen James

Illustrated by Gary Thomas

Reviewed by Emily T (age 8)

Syvester and the Magic Pebble

Sylvester is a donkey. He lives in a village with his mom and dad. Sylvester was collecting pebbles. The next day was a rainy Saturday and Sylvester found a red, shiny and round stone. He was cold from the rain and wished he could make it stop raining, and it did! Sylvester was walking home and he saw a mean, hungry lion. He wished to be a rock he saw and he became a rock for a long time! His parents were worried that night and Sylvester was scared and hungry. The next day, Sylvester’s parents were so worried and they decided to look all over the neighborhood and tried the police, no Sylvester. They even tried the children, and the cats and dogs and much more. All the dogs were looking for him. Finally they stopped at Sylvester the rock, but the dogs didn’t sniff him. Sylvester felt like he was going to be a rock forever. The next day, Sylvester’s parents went for a picnic on strawberry him. They found Sylvester and he felt a picnic cloth put on his back, the pebble was right next to him. He couldn’t quite reach it! Suddenly, Sylvester’s dad saw the magic pebble and admired it. Then it reminded him about Sylvester’s pebble collection. “Oh how I wish our son was here with us!” said Mr. Dunkin. Then, Sylvester the rock began to move and he was a donkey again!

I didn’t enjoy reading this book because, in my opinion, I don’t think it has enough detail and I think this book is too long.

I do recommend other people to read this book because it really has good illustrations.