1 The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

Written by D. Manus Pinkwater

Illustrated by D. Manus Pinkwater

Reviewed by Beth (age 8)

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

This story is about a boy named Arthur who gets a 266 pound chicken for Thanksgiving. Arthur got the chicken from a professor who does experiments on animals. Arthur got a chicken because all of the turkeys for Thanksgiving were gone. When he brings it home, his mom wanted Arthur to get rid of the chicken, who he calls Henrietta. Later on in the story he takes Henrietta out for a walk and a dog scares her so she runs away. Everyone who sees her is mean to her. Arthur tries to find Henrietta by wandering around town. A bird catcher comes to trap Henrietta but you have to read the book to find out if he catches her.

I think the book is special because it is funny how a 266 pound chicken roams around the streets. The illustrations were interesting because they show what was happening in the story. I disliked the bird catcher because he lied to the people and said that he could catch Henrietta with Frankie the chickenoid. I laughed a lot while reading this book because Arthur and Henrietta had some hilarious adventures. I recommend this book to children who love to laugh!