1 On My Honor

On My Honor

Written by Marion Dane Bauer

Reviewed by Ameah K. (age 10)

This story is about a boy named Joel. He has a friend named Tony who always seems to get into trouble. One day Joel and Tony take a bicycle trip to the park. They stop at the bridge over the Vermillion River and decide to go swimming. This is a very dangerous river. Joel dares Tony to a swimming race out to a sand bar. Joel doesn't know that Tony can't swim. Tony ends up drowning in the river. He has to face both sets of parents. Will Joel do the right thing?

I really enjoyed reading this book. It reminded me of the times my brothers got in trouble and were afraid to tell mom. This book was kind of scary to me because we live close to the river and if we are not careful it could happen to us too.

This book has a lot of action in it. It is a very exciting and will hold your attention until the very end. It is a hard book to put down. I think all my friends and my siblings should read this book. It teaches a lesson about staying safe around the water. Grownups could enjoy this and teach their kids to be safe when swimming.