1 A Series of Unfortunate Events - The Wide Window

A Series of Unfortunate Events - The Wide Window

Written by Lemony Snicket

Illustrated by no one

Reviewed by Nicholas C (age 8)

In the book The Wide Window, you’ll meet Klaus, Sunny and Violet Baudelaire. This book is part of a series. The series is called “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. Klaus is 12 years old, Violet is 14 years old and Sunny is an infant. Violet is an inventor, Klaus is a researcher and Sunny… she just likes to bite things. Their parents sadly died in a terrible fire of the Baudelaire home. Since that day, they have been considered orphans. Their parents left behind a ginormous fortune after they had died but, an evil man named Count Olaf has been trying to steal the fortune. All they need is a really good and safe home away from Count Olaf. Sadly for them, Count Olaf has murdered all of their guardians. Will Violet, Klaus and Sunny ever find a good home? You’ll have to read the whole entire series including this book to find out if they ever get a good home.

I think this book keeps you on the edge of your seat. I think so because Count Olaf is disguising himself again in order to get the Baudelaire orphans. Like when Violet, Klaus, Sunny and their new guardian Aunt Josephine were at the grocery store, they met Count Olaf their but, he was disguised himself as a man named Captain Sham. I felt bad for Violet, Klaus and Sunny as I read the book. I felt like this because Aunt Josephine didn’t believe them when they were telling the truth to Aunt Josephine that Captain Sham was really Count Olaf. When they got home from the store, they tried to keep on telling Aunt Josephine that Captain Sham was really Count Olaf. I think this book is different from other books. I think so because the good guys don’t win because they don’t catch the bad guy. However, the bad guy doesn’t win, he just gets away. For example: when Mr. Poe thought he was going to arrest Count Olaf, Count Olaf managed to get away.

I’d recommend this book to people who are also unfortunate because you could learn that you are not the only person that isn’t very fortunate. I also recommend this book to people who are fortunate because this book could teach that not everyone has a great life. Fortunate or unfortunate, you should probably be 8 years old or older because this book does have some bad and scary events that might frighten a younger child. I once had to put this book down because it was that frightening!