1 You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown

You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown

Written by Paula Danziger

Illustrated by Paula Danziger

Reviewed by Brianna G. (age 9)

Do you like reading Amber Brown books? Well if you do, you’re going to like this one. Amber Brown is going to London, England. She’s going to London to see her father then going to tour England for vacation. Her Aunt Pam is going to take her. Amber’s mother would, but her parents are separated. When Amber and Aunt Pam got there Amber had the chicken pox. Amber thought she got it from the pigeons, so she called it the pigeon pox. She really got it from her classmates because half of her class had the chicken pox before she left. Will Amber still be able to see her father? Read the book to find out.

I like how the author makes the character Amber funny. It was funny when Amber called her class Scab City because half of her classmates had the chicken pox. I also think Amber and I are alike because we both don’t like school. I don’t like school because we have to do hard work and Amber doesn’t like school because they do hard work, too. Also, we both run out of erasers and we both need more supplies. Another way we are alike is neither of us would want to get the chicken pox. I like how the illustrator made the illustrations because it gives me a picture of how Amber is and her personality. One of the illustrations that helped me understand the story was when Amber got mad because she had the chicken pox. That illustration really showed her emotion.

I recommend this book to girls because it’s about a girl and her vacation. So I think girls would like to read this book. I think 7 to 10 years olds would want to read this book because it is not too tough and it’s not too easy.