1 The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Written by J.R.R. Tolkien

Illustrated by Alan Lee

Reviewed by Rachel S. (age 11)

The Hobbit

Could you imagine a little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins, who doesn’t like to leave his home, has twelve dwarves and a wizard knocking on his door? They want to go on an adventure to a place called the Misty Mountains, to find and slay the terrible dragon Smaug. How can Bilbo turn down twelve huge, tough dwarves? So he agrees to go. They set off on ponies and along the way meet stone giants, wolves, orcs, and goblins. When Bilbo gets trapped in a goblin cave he finds a ring but thinks nothing of it, and puts it in his pocket. Then he meets the creature Golom. And unless Bilbo wants to be eaten he has to play a riddle game. After a few riddles Bilbo can’t think of any more, so he asks “what’s in my pocket?” Gollom can’t guess. Realizing his defeat, Gollom goes to his island to check on his “birthday present”and it’s gone. Then it hits Gollom, and he knows that his precious ring is in Bilbo’s pocket.

I loved this book because it is adventurous and exiting. If you like fantasy and a good chapter book, this book is for you. After you read it you’ll want to read more. Well your in luck because there are three more books called “The Lord of The Rings”. “The Hobbit” is how it all got started. I thought the Wizard named Gandalf was my favorite character because he could be kind, powerful and wise at the same time. My favorite part was when Bilbo runs into Gollom. Gollom used to be a hobbit like Bilbo but when he found the ring it changed him. He was transformed into a terrible creature. The ring has power over him, he hates and loves the ring. It used to belong to the dark lord Souran until Gollom found it. The person who has the ring has total power, the instant you put it on your finger you become invisible.

Everyone should read this book because it is outstanding! I have read all four books but I still want to read more, I love this book because it’s great fantasy but it has details about everything. People who like fantasy and action would really enjoy this book because I really did! After you read the series you can watch the movies too!