1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Krystal F. (age 10)

Number the Stars

This book is about a girl, who is 10 years old. Her name is Annemarie Johansen and her best friend is Ellen Rosen. These two young ladies go on a huge adventure. One that no one will forget. Ellen and her family are Jewish. Annemarie, Ellen, and their families all live in Denmark. They are in the middle of a big war. The year is 1943 and the Nazis are marching into Copenhagen like they’re all big and bad. They destroy peoples’ homes and capture the Jews. Ellen goes to live with Annemarie and pretends to be part of her family. The Johansen’s try to help the Jews escape the country and they risk their lives in the process.

I loved this book because the whole time that I was reading it, I was on the edge of my seat, and I just couldn’t put it down. It was a great book. My favorite part is when Annemarie goes on a mission to help the Jews. She gets stopped by two Nazis and she is scared. This book made me wonder about what life would be like during a war and how scary it must have been for the Jews. My favorite character is Annemarie because she is so adventurous and such a devoted friend.

I recommend this book for young readers. Anyone who likes suspenseful books would enjoy this book.