1 Bunnicula

Bunnicula

Written by Deborah and James Howe

Illustrated by Alan Danieil

Reviewed by Savana H. (age 11)

Bunnicula

One stormy night, the Monroe family came into the house carrying a mysterious figure. Harold the dog and Chester the cat wondered what it could be. Once they got a good look at it, they saw what it was--a small black and white bunny with a note attached to it that read, “Take care of my baby.” The Monroes started picking odd names like “Fluffy” or “Bun-Bun” and “Prince”. Then Mrs. Monroe thought of a good name. Bunnicula!!! She thought of this name because they had found him in the movie theater while watching Dracula. A couple days later, weird things started to happen. Mrs. Monroe went into the kitchen and discovered a white tomato. Everyone surrounded the table as she cut it open. It was shriveled and dried out, just like the outside, as if all the juice had been sucked out of it. Mr. and Mrs. Monroe thought it was just expired, but Chester had other ideas. He thought Bunnicula had done it!!! That night, Chester saw the light in the kitchen turn on. Chester and Howard crept in and the light went out. Something scampered across the floor and the door opened and shut, but something was still in there. Chester went up to it cautiously and batted it around. He picked up a white zucchini!!! A couple days later, Bunnicula started to get very sick. You won’t believe what happens next… but I’m not going to spoil the book.

I like this book because I like a good mystery. There are many surprises in the book I never thought would happen. It is from a dog’s point of view, which is kind of weird! It was a real page turner.

I recommend this book to people 10 and up because it has complicated words.