1 Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business

Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business

Written by Barbara Park

Illustrated by Denise Brunkus

Reviewed by Jake K (age 8)

Have you ever met a girl who does not want a baby brother? Well, then you haven’t met Junie B. Jones. OK. I know, baby brothers are annoying, but come on, don’t you want one? I mean then you don’t have to be alone any longer. You have someone to be with at home. When Mr. Monkey, (Junie B.’s baby brother), was being born, Junie B. was a mess. She ate a fat lemon pie. She yelled at her Grandpa like this, “HEY GUESS WHAT? THERE’S A BIG FAT LEMON PIE, FRANK!” Junie B. was a mess to her friends too. Her “bestest” friend Grace got mad because Junie B. was not next to her on the bus because she slept over at her grandpa’s house. A mean kid had to sit next to Grace. Her “bestest” friends Grace and Lucille give Junie B. all kinds of fancy presents to get to see her new monkey brother first. When Junie B. got back home she had a baby brother. Will she be happy about it? What will she do about it? Read this book to find out!

Can you believe Junie B. actually thinks her brother is a monkey?!! She is really mixed – up. Junie B.’s grandmother told her that her brother was a cute little monkey. Junie B. believes her brother is a real… MONKEY!! After Junie B. ate her pancakes for dinner, she went to bed. Junie B. thought a droopy guy with claws lives under her bed. When I was little, I thought a vampire lived in my bathroom at night! So I was scared and Junie B. was scared too. But one thing was different! Junie B.’s monster was under her bed and my vampire lived in my bathroom. My worstest fears are vampires and me without my parents. The weirdest, craziest part is when Junie B. thinks Gutzman is a name. She wants to name her baby brother Gutzman just because her lunchlady’s name was Miss Gutzman, and Junie B. wanted to name her baby after her!

I recommend this book to kids who like funny characters like Pee-Wee, Minnie & Moo, Fox, and Poppleton. I also recommend this book to kids ages 7 and up and people who like mixed-up characters and happily ever after books.