Ghouls Don't Scoop Ice Cream

Written by Debbie and Marcia Thorton Jones Dadey • Illustrated by John Steven Gurney

Reviewed by Katie S. (age 7)

In this book Liza, Howie, Melody and Eddie try to find out if a new girl who works at the Burger Doodle is a ghoul. The girl is named Scout and she came to Bailey City to try to find a house for a family of vampires - or what Liza thinks is a family of vampires. The kids know that ghouls don't smile, so they want to make Scout smile to see for sure if she's a ghoul or not so they dress up as clowns and very funny people. Scout smiled, but she kept on wearing her ghoul clothes.

I love this book because Liza, Melody, Eddie, and Howie are trying to solve a mystery, and mysteries are really fun for me to read. I also like the book because of all the illustrations. I think the illustrator did a good job. He showed a lot of emotion in his pictures. I also like the book because it was exciting and happy.

I really do think second- through fourth-graders would like to read this book because the kids are able to solve the mystery in about one day. The story goes fast. I think my mom would like it because she loves mysteries. I think everyone would like the part when they found the answer and solve the mystery.

Katie S. is a student in Ms. G.'s 2nd Grade Class
2007-2008