1 Because of Winn Dixie

Because of Winn Dixie

Reviewed by Robert S. (age 10)

Because of Winn Dixie

Opal moves into a new town and doesn't have any friends. She befriends a dog at the grocery store. She names him Winn Dixie because she found him in the store called Winn Dixie. Opal brings him home. She tries to get the preacher, her dad, to let her keep him. Winn Dixie is a funny dog. One time Winn Dixie scared the librarian. She mistook him for a bear that came in the library. Once he captured a big rat and then let it go in a safe place. Read this book to find out how Winn Dixie helps Opal to make friends in her new town.

My favorite part is when Opal goes to the grocery store and finds a dog who is making a big mess in the store. The manager and all the people were screaming. Opal claimed the dog and brought him home. He is an interesting dog. He is able to make Opal feel good about being in a new town without any friends. I felt sad when I read the book because Opal doesn't know anyone and has to live in a trailer park with only adults. I love playing and visiting my friends. I can't imagine how Opal feels. This dog is special because he helps Opal to make friends.

I recommend this to someone without friends. It will make that person have a better life by teaching them how to make friends. I think 2nd-4th graders would like to read books like this. Kids who love dog stories will find taht Winn Dixie is a perfect dog story.