1 The BFG

The BFG

Illustrated by Quentin Blake

Reviewed by Victoria S. (age 10)

The BFG

Do you believe in giants or being eaten in your sleep? Well, think again! A little girl, Sophie, has been kidnapped from her bed one night during the witching hour by the Big Friendly Giant. She is then taken to a place called Giantcountry. Once there, the BFG tells Sophie about all the other giants and how she will have to live with him for the rest of her life! Sophie will have to eat snozzcumbers forever, since that's all the BFG eats. Snozzcumbers are the most disgusting food in the world, so says the BFG. There are nine other man-eating giants in Giantcountry and every night they go out to different countries and gobble up "human beans" for supper, while Sophie and the BFG eat snozzcumbers. The BFG and Sophie want very badly to put a stop to this horrible man-eating madness. What will they do?

The fantasy, The BFG, is a very funny book. One example of this is the BFG's strange way of talking; he gets his words all mixed up. I love the illustrations in this book by Quentin Blake because they tell about the book without words. Sophie reminds me of my best friend Chrissy because she is a quiet person who doesn't raise her voice just like Sophie. This is not like any other book I've read because Roald Dahl is a very talented writer who has a wonderful imagination.

I would recommend this book to boys and girls from ages 7 to 13.