1 The Cay

The Cay

Written by Theodore Taylor

Reviewed by Ethan C. (age 10)

The Cay

Imagine being blind, stranded on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere, with a man you have never met, and with no hope of being rescued. Phillip and Timothy had experienced exactly that. After their ship sank from an enemy sub attack, they escape on a small life raft. A piece of wood hit Phillip's head and left him blind and unable to do any work around camp. Will they be able to overcome the elements and survive?

I really liked this book because it was exciting and I couldn't guess what would happen next. One of my favorite parts was when they were stranded in the middle of a hurricane because the author used a lot of description of the terrifying storm. Another one of my favorite parts was when they first landed on the island and since Phillip was blind he became very, very clumsy. I liked this part because it was one of the funniest parts in the book. When Phillip was stumbling around after he realized he was blind, he reminded me of a little boy I know, who is just learning to walk. Phillip was beginning his new life, learning new things, and beginning to cope with his blindness.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes exciting survival stories with a little bit of humor mixed in. Overall, I give this book five out of five stars because it had a lot of suspense and description. It was fast paced and very exciting.