1 The Boxcar Children

The Boxcar Children

Written by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Illustrated by Likate Deal

Reviewed by Caroline N. (age 8)

The Boxcar Children

This is the first book of the Boxcar Children series. In this book the kids - Jessie the oldest girl; Benny, the youngest boy; Henry, the oldest boy; and Violet, the youngest girl - don't start off in the boxcar. Instead they start off outside a bakery. Jessie and Henry find out that the lady at the bakery wants to send Benny to a foster home. The kids run away so they can all stay together. They end up in the woods and have lots of adventures. Henry even won a free for all! There is a very happy ending. I like Boxcar Children because the things in the story can really happen. My favorite part was when they found Watch, the dog. It was my favorite because I like dogs. My favorite characters are Jesse and Henry because they show maturity and they helped their family a lot. They don't joke about that many things. I like the book because it is an adventure book and I like adventure books. I think that this book is great and I recommend it.

I think that people over first grade would like it because they would understand it. You have to understand the book to like it. At the end of the story the kids get to stay with their rich grandpa, plus they get to keep the boxcar. I think people would like this part because it's cool.