Little Penguin's Tale

Written by Audrey Wood • Illustrated by Audrey Wood

Reviewed by Alyssa L. (age 7)

This book is about Little Penguin, Little Penguin?s friends, and Grand Nanny Penguin. It takes place in a lot of snow.In the beginning, Grand Nanny Penguin is going to tell a story from long, long, ago. Little Penguin wanders off with the gooney birds. Then, he went to a wild party. He was the wildest of them all. At the end, a whale gobbled Little Penguin, but Little Penguin was too clever. He jumped out of the whale?s mouth. The whale bit some of his best tail feathers.

I enjoyed this book, because it is funny and it reminds me of the day I tried to run away. Little Penguin learned that running away was not a good idea. The illustrations were colorful and helped make the book funny. My favorite part was when he went to the wild party because two elephants were holding a rope and Little Penguin walked on the rope holding an umbrella. You wouldn?t ever expect to see that.

I would recommend this book to first graders and preschoolers because I think that they will think this book is funny. Young kids will laugh at how silly Penguin is.

Alyssa L. is a student in Mrs. Van Ness' 2nd Grade Class
2005-2006