1 Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Written by Eleanor Coerr

Illustrated by Ronald Himler

Reviewed by Miriam V. (age 10)

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

This book is about a little girl, named Sadako. When Sadako was about three years old, planes dropped bombs into her city, Hiroshima in Japan. Luckily Sadako didn?t die like others, but she had a disease that affected her life everyday. One day her friend told Sadako that if she folded one thousand paper cranes, she would not die. So, she tried it. If you want to know what happened, read this book.

This book made me feel kind of sad because Sadako was too little to get sick. I really enjoyed the book it?s interesting to know such terrible thing happened to a little girl.

My favorite character is Sadako because she never gave up even if she was tired all the time. She must have suffered a lot when she was getting weaker and weaker everyday. As I read the book, I felt sorry for Sadako because she had a dream of being a runner but her dream didn?t come true because she was getting too weak to run.

Sadako reminds me of my grandpa. My grandpa was really sick, but he still kept on working because he wanted to continue to provide for his family as long as possible.

I really enjoyed the part of the story where Sadako ran a foot race. She didn?t think she could win, but she tried anyway. She never gave up during the race even though she was really tired from being sick.

I recommend that people who like a touch of sadness should read this book. It?s also for people who like to read about historical events.