1 The Giving Tree

The Giving Tree

Written by Shel Silverstein

Illustrated by Shel Silverstein

Reviewed by Audrey K. (age 7)

The Giving Tree

There was a boy who was best friends with a tree. Every day the boy would go to see the tree. He would gather her leaves and make them into crowns. He would climb up her trunk and eat her apples. They boy loved the tree. The boy grew older and the tree was alone. One day the boy came back so the tree gave him her apples to sell. The boy stayed away for a long time and came back when he needed to build a house. He cut the tree's branches to build his house. The tree was happy. Then the boy stayed away for a long time. When he came back the tree was still there. The boy didn't need anything except a place to rest, so the tree gave him that and they were both happy together.

My favorite part of the book is when the boy picked apples from the tree because I like to eat apples. I like the tree character because I like trees and nature. Pictures help tell the story of the life of the boy and the tree and how they were friends. This story relates to me because I love animals just like the boy loved the tree.

I think others should read this story because it will make them feel good and it's about best friends.