1 Maniac Magee

Maniac Magee

Written by Jerry Spinelli

Reviewed by Rachel S. (age 10)

Maniac Magee

?Crash!? the trolley plunged into the Schuylkill River. Millions died, including Jeffrey Magee?s parents (Jeffrey is a boy who has a talent for running and untying knots; he also gets along with most people who are a different color). After living with his aunt and uncle who wouldn?t even share a spoon, he was on the run! He was shuffled through many places and houses such as Amanda Beale?s, Grayson?s and the zoo. After a few nights at each house, he?s bounced to another house. Maniac Magee does everything he can to fit in; does it work??

I like this book because Maniac Magee could not only untangle any loop or run on the railroad tracks but he taught many people racism did not matter! My favorite part was when Hester and Lester swore over a book to never take another bath! Jeffery and Amanda were like purple because they would fight (like red) then calm down (like blue) Red and blue creates purple! I liked how the novelist tied sad in with the happiness!

I would recommend this book because Jerry Spinelli knows how to paint a picture in your head and make you feel like you are there watching every move the characters make. If you like adventure, sadness and happiness all tied together you should consider this book!