1 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Written by Mildred D. Taylor

Reviewed by Kaylee P. (age 12)

Roll of Thunder Hear Me Cry is about four African-American kids named Little Man, Stacey, Christopher-John, and Cassie. They have to face prejudice everyday. For revenge, they try to do something to Jefferson Davis?s bus when it passes the gulley hole. They were able to get back at the Jefferson Davis kids by digging this hole. Then, they go home and get in trouble by Big Ma and have to change their clothes and hung them to dry by the fire. This book explores life after slavery when many people were not treated equally.

I like this book because it had a funny part. The funny part was when Little Man, Stacey, Christopher-John, and Cassie were getting all wet by the Jefferson Davis bus and it was funny when it fell in the hole. I think the book is an intelligent book because it shows and tells about African ? Americans and Caucasians. Caucasian is another word for white people. The mood of the story is sad in the beginning and part of the middle because one of the characters is beat up. One character I liked was Lillian Jean. I like this character because she is bossy. This book reminds me of something in my life. This was when T.J got hurt, I got hurt the same way he did.

I recommend this book because it tells why the author chooses to write this book in favor of his father who died April 1976. I also recommend this book because it teaches kids a lesson about life. This lesson is that there should not be any prejudice.

Kaylee P.
is a student in
The Green Tigers