1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Zackary D. (age 11)

This story takes place in Copenhagen, Denmark around 1943, during WWII, when the Nazis invaded and occupied Denmark. The Jews were being persecuted and were fleeing for their lives. Anne Marie found the package that Peter gave to Mr. Rosen on the ground. In this novel Lois Lowry wrote about historical fiction.

I thought this was the best book I ever read. The characters were very brave for risking their lives by bringing escaping Jews to Sweden. Even though the Jews had to leave most everything behind, they still had their pride. I would like to read another novel about historical fiction. In my life people are injured by others, in many ways, somewhat like the story. In the Intermediate School there was a book titled WWII and it talked about the war and the things that happened to the Jews. In Iraq, today, almost the same thing is happening where one force is trying to overrun the country.

Yes, I would recommend this book for others to read. Those would be people who enjoy reading about history. What might interest people most would be the part where Peter gives Mr. Rosen a bag to deliver to Uncle Henrick, and, you will have to read the book to find out what is in it.