1 Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty, United States Marine Corps

Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty, United States Marine Corps

Written by Ellen Emerson White

Reviewed by Joe S. (age 11)

Bang came the sound of gun shots firing just ahead of us in Khe Sanh, Vietnam 1968.

Patrick Seamus Flaherty from Boston Massachusetts decides to join the military to fight for his country in the Vietnam War. He gets shot in the leg and is in great pain. Find out what happens to Patrick. Will he survive the Vietnam War?

I like this book a lot because it has a lot of action and excitement going on. My favorite part is when enemy planes start flying over and the soldiers hide underground. My favorite characters are Hollywood, Behop and Patrick. I like Hollywood because he shared some of the things he got in the mail with Patrick because he was lonely for a while. I like Behop because he is very different from a lot of people in the story. When others were playing with their guns, he would be playing with a saxaphone mouthpiece. I enjoyed Patrick because he and Behop work as a good team. Patrick reminded me of myself because he likes to play sports, like football. This book is like another book by the same author. The other book is about World War II. If you like this book, you would like to read it also. This book made me not want to put it down. I loved it so much because it was so interesting. This story reminds me of right now because the United States is in a war.

I would recommend this book to people who like action and excitement. I think people in grades 4-7 should read this book because it has some tough words in it. I think if people love war stories or excitement, they will love this book. Even though it is fiction, it has a lot of real facts.