1 The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A WWII Soldier

The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A WWII Soldier

Written by Walter Dean Myers

Reviewed by Jeremiah D. (age 12)

This book is about a 17 year old boy named Scott Pendleton Collins. Scott gets called to war. He has a hard time adjusting to the killing. The book talks about Scott's hard time being in a war. Eventually Scott adapts to the killing in war. He says ?It?s very hard hearing everyone around dying and not being able to stop and help, we just keep on moving.?

I thought this was a good book because you never knew what was going to happen next. The character that changed in a big way was Scott Pendelton Collins. Before he was called up to be in the war he was always afraid of what it was like. Eventually he gets used to it. The story reminds me of the war in Iraq. Many young adults are risking their lives for the people in Iraq. The unique thing about this book is it tells what it would be like if you had to go to war. When I read this book I feel sorry for people who go to war. It made me think how good of a life that I have.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to learn more about World War II. The main idea of this story is to tell people what war is like. War is not a good place to be.

The type of reader or audience that would like this book would probably be people that like things that are graphic and gory. I feel pretty bad for all those soldiers, they had a really rough life.

In conclusion this is a really good book. People that live in America should think of what a good life they had and compare it to what the German families in WWII had to go through. Some people may have hard lives but nothing compared to the Germans at that time.