1 Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias

Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias

Written by Debbie and Marcia Thorton Jones Dadey

Illustrated by John Steven Gurney

Reviewed by M.B. (age 9)

Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias

The Bailey School Kids are four friends from school who go on a field trip to a science museum. When they get there they meet a tall guy who has lots of scars. His name is Frank. The kids start to think that Frank is really Frankenstein. While they're at the museum a rainstorm hits and Frank's petunia plants fly out the window while he tries to save them. At the end Frank gives everyone a petunia plant to take home. The kids figure out that Frank is not really Frankenstein after all.

I think the book is very funny because Frank really looked like a friendly Frankenstein. The pictures show him with a flat head and he is very tall and looks just like the monster. My favorite part is when Frank gives the kids petunia plants to take home even though he really loved the plants. That made Frank very generous and thoughtful.

This book made me think about monsters and if I believe in them. I would have to say I don't believe in monsters because I've never heard of any coming to your house and sucking your blood and haunting you. I like to read about them but I don't believe in them. I have also drawn monsters but they don't look like Frank.

This book is for you if you like lots of adventure and horror. It is also pretty funny. There is a whole series of 32 books about the Bailey School Kids and I recommend these books if you like to read different stories about the same characters.

M.B.
is a student in
Mrs. Forte's Class 4A