1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Written by J.K. Rowling

Illustrated by Mary Grandpre

Reviewed by Amanda M. (age 12)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a story about a boy named . . . you guessed it . . . Harry Potter. His parents died in what he was told as a car crash. When he gets his letter from Hogwarts, a school of witchcraft and wizardry, he finds out they were killed by the most evil wizard of the ages, Voldemort. He goes to school in his third year to meet his best friends Ron and Hermione. There are many attacks around Gryffindor Tower. Even Ron swears that he was attacked by Sirius Black, a supposed follower of Voldemort. When Harry sees the ?grim? and is told he will die soon by his Divination teacher, he thinks that he might as well die, with all the dementors around. Not to mention Draco Malfoy, Harry?s enemy for the past two years. Later on in the story, Harry learns that Black is his godfather and that Black was not a convicted murderer. He was wrongly accused. Peter Pettigrew, a good friend of Black?s and his father?s was the one who killed Harry?s parents. Peter also made it seem like Black killed a lot of people. Yet he had never shown any sign that he was really alive. Whenever something goes wrong, Ron, Hermione, or both are always there to help, or get dragged along for the ride.

I think that this is a very good book because it talks about forgiveness and betrayal. It also talk?s about magical, and mystical, enchanted places, like the Hogwarts castle. I personally like all the books. They are all about mystery, excitement, and mysterious characters.

My favorite part was when Sirius told Harry the truth about what had been going fro the past 12 or 13 years. The character I found most interesting was Sirius Black. The reason I found him interesting was because he had been a convicted murderer, yet when he wanted to tell Harry that he was wrongly accused, he acted like he was a convicted murderer. One of the characters reminded me of someone. That character was Hermione Granger. Hermione reminds me of a girl in my class named Aimee Dickinson. They make me think their sisters because they both act like know it alls and sometimes they do know a lot about a certain subject.

There were two characters who I thought changed. They were Sirius Black and Harry Potter. The reason I think that Harry changed is because he hated Sirius because Sirius had supposedly killed Harry?s parents. The reason I thought Sirius changed was because he was always looking gloomy and after he asked Harry if he would like to live with him, and Harry said yes, Sirius looked happy and had a smile on his face.

There are some illustrations in the book. The illustrations were at the beginning of each chapter. The illustrations are there to give you an idea of what the chapter is about. The only thing I don?t like about the illustrations is that they are in black and white.

I think that there is something interesting, or unique about this book. The reason I think this is because the book is part of a series. A series that will never end. A series that no matter how long it takes to get the full series you can still keep on reading and reading the ones you have. There is no other book that I have read that is like this one. Unless you count the other Harry Potter books. This book is not like all of the others because it has to do with mystery, magic, and yet at the same time it has to do with betrayal and friendship.

When I read the book I felt like I was in it. My cousin and godmother told my mom about them before we got hooked on them. ?J.K. Rowling puts so much detail into the book that it almost feels like your there.? This story kind of reminds me of my life because I never knew my biological father. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, adventure, or fairy tales. This book is like all of these because it has magic in it which makes it a fairy tale, Harry goes out and does many things which makes it an adventure, and there are many things that are done that could never be done in the human world plus there are many places with climaxes so it is a mystery.