1 Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon

Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon

Written by Cynthia Rylant

Illustrated by Sucie Stevenson

Reviewed by Jesse T. (age 8) & Christian M. (age 9)

Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon

In this Henry and Mudge book, Henry and his big dog Mudge show how much they love the Fall and everything in the Fall. They love playing in the colored leaves, and eating apples. Henry and Mudge both like Halloween. They make paper bats and carve Jack-o-Lanterns. Henry's mother loved to tell ghost stories. Henry was scared when his mom told the stories, but not this year because Henry had Mudge. Henry's mom told a scary story about a pair of shoes that walked by themselves and went click click. After the story was over, Henry could still hear clicking from somewhere. No one knew it was Mudge's mouth clicking.

Aunt Sally came over for Thanksgiving. Henry did not like Aunt Sally because she ate too much, talked too much, and hogged the TV. Henry thought she might hate Mudge. Aunt Sally really liked Mudge so Henry now likes Aunts Sally.

We liked the book because we thought it was funny. We especially liked the Halloween part because we like Jack-o-lanterns. We liked the part about Thanksgiving because it shows Aunt Sally eating all the food and she hogs the TV. She always eats too much, and she is such a chatter box.

This book makes me (Jesse) think about my dog because he is big like Mudge and he eats like Mudge. We also like the part when Henry's mom tells scary stories because we like scary stories. I (Christian) like the story about the walking shoes that go click, click, click. I also like the part when Mudge's teeth go click, click, click and no one knows it, and everyone was scared. That was my favorite part.

We would recommend this book to other kids because it's a great book. If you are in second grade it will be a good book for you.

Jesse T. and Christian M.
are students in
Class C123