1 The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo

The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo

Written by Judy Blume

Illustrated by Irene Trivas

Reviewed by Kiara M. (age 9)

This story is about a boy named Freddy Dissel and he is in the second grade. He was a good kid but ever since he saw a poster in the school hallway about a 6th grade play, he always kept on saying that he wanted to join it but he could not join it because he was in the second grade not in 6th grade.

So he told his mother, father, brother and sister that he wanted to join the play. His parents thought it was okay but his brother did not think it was okay. When he got to school he told his teacher Ms.Gumber he wanted to join the play. So she asked Ms.Matson the leader of the play if she needed someone else to join and she did, she needed someone to play the green kangaroo. So Ms.Gumber told Freddy that they needed someone to play the green kangaroo, and Freddy was soooo excited about the news! He could not believe that he was going to be in the 6th grade play.

The big ideas to be learned from the story are that to always be proud of yourself no matter what happens and that to never give up on your dreams. I think the book is nice,and fun to read, and it was a great book for me. I think it would be a good book for other people, too! I liked it because it has lessons for people to follow and to understand, it has lessons that people will never forget.

My favorite part of the book is when Freddy did a good job in the 6 grade play. What I think about the illustrations is that it has nice drawings and it really matches with the story. Once I wanted to have a special part in a play in my school and it was a 4th grade play and I was in the 4th grade, and the school play's name was about the movie "Annie". So I was not Annie but I had a special part also, I was Annie's best friend in the whole universe. Her name was Margaret.

I think boys and girls would like this book because it is really funny to read about, and it is nice to read. Boys will like this book because it probably might have happened to them one time and it reminds them of themselves. Girls might like it because they might have wanted a special part of a play, just like Freddy.