1 Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Written by Jules Verne

Reviewed by Johnny M. (age 10)

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Descend into the crater of Yocul of Sneffels, Which the shade of Scartaris caresses, before the calends of July, Audacious traveler, and you will reach the center of the Earth. I did it. Arne Saknussemm

It was a secret message written by the famous alchemist, Arne Saknussemm, written on an ancient sheet of parchment. Professor Otto Lindenbrock has to learn if Saknussemm is right, if so, than every theory of the molten core of the Earth is wrong. So he and his nephew Henry, begin their journey to Iceland, where Sneffels is located. On their way, they encounter a man of great strength, named Hans, who was assigned to be their guide. After reaching the foot of the mountain, Professor Lindenbrock decides to let the guide, Hans, accompany them on their journey to the interior of the Earth. Near the end of July the shadow of the mountain Scartaris falls upon one crater at Sneffels. They begin to descend into the crater and start the journey to the center of the Earth. There are endless tunnels and passages of which they encounter and may die of thirst. And what is this vast sea with a sun and sky? What could possibly be living in this Central Sea? Will Lindenbrock, Henry, and Hans ever get to the center of the world? And will they become trapped, buried in the heart of the Earth, forever?

As I was reading this book I felt lost in another place, as if I was going along into the interior of the Earth. My favorite part was when Professor Lindenbrock, Henry, and Hans started to cross the Central Sea. This book is unique from other books that I have read. The author, Jules Verne, makes up the most amazing things imaginable. The books made me wonder if all this was real, the way he wrote it. I enjoyed this book a lot.

I recommend this book to anyone from fourth grade or higher. I feel they would enjoy the book more. If someone enjoys sci-fiction, action, suspense, friendship, adventure, mystery, and drama all at the same time, they would like this book. You should read the book or watch the movie and I can promise you will enjoy it.