1 Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie

Reviewed by Maggie H. (age 9) & Erin M (age 9)

Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie is about a girl named Opal. She went to the store and found a dog running around knocking everything over. She claims the dog and names him Winn-Dixie. She takes him home. The preacher, her dad, says that she can keep him. Opal makes lots of friends along the way, but then Winn-Dixie is missing! Read the book to find out what happens, and if they find Winn-Dixie.

I'm Erinne, and I made a connection with this book because Mrs. Schimmelpfennig loves animals like Opal. My favorite character is Opal because she is kind to other people and loving to Winn-Dixie. The character that I am most like is Otis because I am very shy like Otis. I am also like Otis because he likes animals, and he even sings to them too, I think that's nice. My favorite part is when Miss Fanny Bock thought that Winn-Dixie was a bear. She thought this when she was reading the book and Winn-Dixie was on his hind legs outside the window.

I'm Maggie, and I can make a connection because Mrs. Schimmelpfennig loves animals like Opal does. My favorite character is also Opal because she is kind to other people and loving to Winn-Dixie. I am most like Otis because he loves animals and tries to make them happy by playing the guitar to them. I use to sing to my dog to make her happy. Otis also loves animals a lot, and I really love animals too. My favorite part was when Gloria Dump gave Winn-Dixie a peanut butter sandwich. I think it was funny because Winn-Dixie ran straight up to Gloria and licked the peanut butter right off of her fingers.

We recommend this book to everyone who likes dogs and likes making new friends. If you like adventures then this book would be for you. Third grade through sixth grade could read on their own, kindergarten and first grade would enjoy it, but you may have to read it to them.