The One and Only Ivan

Written by Katherine Applegate

Reviewed by Lauryn (age 8)

Bang! Bang! Bang! went the hands of the one and only Ivan mighty silverback gorilla, but thatís not all. Youíll have to read the book, The One and Only Ivan, written by Katherine Applegate, to find out what happens to this fascinating character.

Ivan is a silverback gorilla, and he hasnít had an easy life. Ivan was born in the jungle, but his parents were killed when he was young. Now he lives in a cage at the Big Top Mall which is run by Mack. Ivan does have a few friends, though. Stella is an elephant that is old and has a bad leg that makes her limp. She is a good friend to Ivan. Bob is a dog that likes to sleep on Ivanís belly. He is a very lazy dog. Julia is a little girl who taught Ivan how to draw. Her father, George, cleans the mall at night. Ivanís best friend is Ruby, a baby elephant. She is sweet and laughs at Ivanís pictures.

I love this book because it is funny and sad at the same time. My favorite part of the book is when Mack tries to teach Ruby circus tricks. He tries to make her walk on a rope and through a hoop. Mack treats Ruby harshly even though she is only a baby. I was worried about what would happen to Ruby so I could not stop reading this part until I knew she would be okay.

Ivanís drawings remind me of my first picture drawing because it is all scribbles. The illustrations in this book are black and white, but your mind is splashed with colors as you imagine everything that is happening to Ivan and his friends.

The character that changes the most is Bob. At first, he wouldnít let people touch him or feed him. He preferred to be a hunting dog. Julia took Bob home and he learned to be loved. The saddest character is Stella because her foot is sick, and she ends up dying. I was worried about Ruby when Stella dies because Stella was her aunt and took care of her.

In conclusion, The One and Only Ivan, is unlike any other book Iíve read before. It made me feel worried and sad. I couldnít stop reading because I wanted find out what happens to all the characters. I think it is a great book for ages 8 and up. Itís a good book for both boys and girls to read. Ivan and Ruby will keep you turning the pages for more. So, what are you waiting for? Go out and grab The One and Only Ivan today!

Lauryn is a student in Ms. Buckner's 3rd Grade Class
2013-2014