1 Because of Winn Dixie

Because of Winn Dixie

Written by Kate DiCamillo

Reviewed by N.D. (age 9)

Because of Winn Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie, a Newbury Award winner, is a great book all about a girl named India (but everybody calls her by her middle name, Opal) who has just moved to Florida. Opal lives with her father, the preacher, a busy man who has many papers to fill out, and is always working. But, she doesn’t have a mother, because her mother abandoned her and the Preacher when she was little. Opal really misses her mother. One day when Opal was grocery shopping, she meets a dirty, stray dog in the store. She claims the dog and names it the first thing that comes to mind…the name of the store, Winn-Dixie. When she gets home with the dog, she begs to keep him. The preacher lets her keep the dog so she cleans him up because he is dirty. Even though Opal had Winn-Dixie, she still felt lonesome. She was new to Florida and had no friends. Later on in the book, Opal meets two brothers, a creative librarian, a store worker who had been in jail, a girl who she meets in the library, and a lady who has a tree of cans that represent mistakes she has made. Opal throws a party so her friends can meet, but one guest is missing…Winn-Dixie. Read the book to find out what happens to Winn-Dixie!

Because of Winn-Dixie is a great book. I couldn’t put it down once I started a new chapter. The reason I like this book is I loved the characters. The details about them made me feel so many different emotions. I also like this book because I could put myself in the characters’ shoes. This book is special because it describes a good relationship between a dog and a girl who needs extra family and love for the replacement of her mother.

Now that you know a little bit about Because of Winn Dixie, it’s time you know who I recommend it to. If you like cliff hangers or books about dogs or even a book about friendship, I think you would like this book. It is best for children ages 7 and up. People should read this book because it is family friendly and you will love the story and the little details, the author, Kate DiCamillo added to make the book even better! So, start Because of Winn Dixie ASAP, because you are sure to love it!