1 The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Written by Brian Selznick

Reviewed by Molly A (age 9)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

This awesome book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is about a boy who is 11 years old. His name is Hugo Cabret. He lives in a train station in Paris. He fixes clocks. The problem in the story is his dad invented a robot but died before it was finished. How will Hugo fix the robot? See if the robot writes to Hugo and his friend Isabelle!

I like the illustrations in this book because they are so beautiful. The author uses lots of details in the pictures. They are in black and white, and there are many small lines. I also like the book because the author uses lots of details in the writing. One example I like is when he wrote, “Suddenly, there came a crash that was so loud they could feel it in their bones.” Other example I like is when he wrote, “. . . a steam engine whistled its defending shriek.” I like the way the author told the story because he wrote some words but used lots of pictures. There are more picture pages than writing pages. There are only 14 pages with words out of the first 100. There are 530 pages altogether in the book and 284 are illustrations!

I think people 8 and older would like this book because it has a lot of pages. It has about 530 but don’t be scared most of them are pictures.