1 Harris and Me

Harris and Me

Written by Gary Paulsen

Reviewed by Brett B (age 12)

In this book, an eleven year old boy was sent to a farm to live with his relatives for the summer holidays. He gets into trouble with his cousin Harris, who is about the same age. They do things like wrestle slippery pigs, catch mice, and jump off a barn loft using a rope. The boys don't want to get in trouble, but trouble seems to follow them everywhere.

My favorite part of the story happens toward the end of the book. They made a motorized bike using a washing machine motor and an ordinary bike and they ride it to the end of the lane. They are surprised to find out how fast the motorized bike goes. Harris loses something on his ride. You'll have to read the book to find out what he loses. The character I like the most is Harris. He does lots of adventurous things like have wars with pigs. He has an exciting imagination. He helps the boy feel at home by including him in everything.

I think that both Harris and the boy who is telling the story change from the beginning of the story to the end. The boy doesn't want to go back to the city after he spends the summer at Harris' place. He has become really good friends with Harris. It's a neat friendship.

I recommend this book because it is interesting. It tells a real-life story, even though it is fiction. Some kids have to live with their relatives and this story talks about that. I think grade five and six kids would like this story because it's a good book and it keeps you laughing.